The Medicare TOP PRIORITY for Florida is reducing their CERT error rate which at this time stands at an ALL TIME HIGH of 14.5%.
Most important, the number one cause of this high error rate is INSUFFICIENT DOCUMENTATION.
Specifically, 81% of the CERT error rate was due to one of the following:
- The written Plan of Care was not included
- The Progress Notes did not include reasons for continuing therapy.
- No daily treatment notes
- No physician certification of the Plan of Care
Physical therapists can improve their documentation using some simple tools:
- Use graphic displays of patient functional progress
- Use the FCSO Interactive Worksheet to understand what documentation is required for Medically Necessary services.
- Consider additional justification statements when the physical therapy services exceed the initial treatment period, typically one month.